it’s cold outside and on a day like this, why not make something comforting that will warm you right up? I have a sweet tooth, especially for anything caramel. It’s the perfect balance of sweet and salty, and it’s so easy to make right at home! You’ll be so in love with this caramel sauce that you’ll want to put it on everything, literally. Top waffles with this sauce for breakfast, drizzle over your latter, on cupcakes or sundaes, heck, dunk your finger in the pot to curb your sweet craving!
This is a simple recipe that only requires 5 ingredients. Make it for a dinner party and have your guests feast in the fun of pouring it oven the dessert of the evening. It makes for a great gift and can be stored for a few weeks.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp fleur de sel
- In a saucepan, heat sugars over medium heat, stirring constantly. The sugar will start to melt, clump up and transform into a thick golden amber liquid. Reduce heat to low while continuing to stir.
- Carefully add butter and continue to stir as the caramel will bubble quickly. Stir until butter is completely melted
- Carefully drizzle in heavy cream while stirring
- Increase heat to medium again, allowing the mixture to boil for 1 minute
- Remove from heat and add salt. Allow the caramel to cool down before using.
- Store caramel in an airtight container and store for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator